How to Tell If You Are Addicted to Hydrocodone
Last Updated: January 17, 2023
Chronic pain is a problem across the United States and around the world. When you experience pain due to a health condition such as disease and injury, you may want nothing more than to be pain-free.
Sometimes, hydrocodone and other medications that people take to become pain-free can lead to additional physical, mental and emotional problems. In the past two decades, opioid pain medications have been prescribed liberally, and now many people experience the effects of opioid dependence or even addiction. How do you know if you have an addiction to hydrocodone?
What Is Hydrocodone?
Hydrocodone is an opioid. It is the active ingredient in the brand name drug Vicodin. Like other opioids, hydrocodone not only relieves pain but can lead to feelings of euphoria and relaxation. Seeking this feeling by misusing the drug can sometimes lead to addiction.
What Does Hydrocodone Addiction Look Like?
How do you know if you are experiencing hydrocodone addiction?
- Your body adapts to the effects of hydrocodone and you find yourself taking higher doses of it. The more you take over time, the more your body gets accustomed to the drug. Over time, you may need higher doses of the drug to get the same feeling of euphoria
- If you use the drug without a prescription
- You spend a lot of time and energy getting this drug and getting over the aftereffects. You might miss work or school due to its effects
- You go to different doctors or pharmacies to try and access more hydrocodone
- Your social and work lives begin to suffer. You are focused on getting and using the drug.
- Your mental and physical health is deteriorating, but you continue to use the drug
Overcome addiction with evidence-based, expert care.
Hydrocodone Addiction Treatment Options
What can you do if you realize that you have developed an addiction to hydrocodone? Realizing that you have a problem with substance misuse can be scary. It is important to seek treatment options that can put you on a path toward stability and sobriety in the future. As you look for hydrocodone addiction treatment, consider the following:
- What medical assistance does the treatment program provide to help you weather the initial challenges of withdrawal?
- What are your treatment options? Intensive inpatient or outpatient care can be your first step toward breaking your dependence on hydrocodone.
- Are there alternative therapies available? These therapies such as art therapy and exercise can help you support your sobriety in the long term.
- How does the treatment center manage dual diagnoses? This can help you overcome the challenges of depression, anxiety or other disorders that can contribute to your substance misuse.
- What aftercare is available to you? This can help you sustain your recovery.
At The Recovery Village Columbus, medical professionals support you in your goal of having a life free of hydrocodone addiction. Contact The Recovery Village Columbus today to discuss your treatment options.
Our Recovery Advocates are ready to answer your questions about addiction treatment and help you start your recovery.