The Recovery Village Columbus Student Scholarship
A Scholarship for Compassionate Students
Addiction and substance use can have an impact on anyone. Most people know someone who has struggled with substance abuse, whether it’s a family member, friend, acquaintance or even themselves. Ohio currently leads the nation in heroin-related deaths (1 in 9 American overdose deaths take place in The Buckeye State). As a medical student, you can play an important role in combatting substance use disorders.
The Recovery Village Columbus serves patients from Ohio and beyond, with the goal of helping individuals struggling with drug and alcohol addiction along with co-occurring disorders like PTSD and depression. The center offers a broad spectrum of drug and alcohol treatment, from medical detox to intensive outpatient, to encourage long-term healing.
Who Can Apply
To apply for The Recovery Village Columbus Student Scholarship, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Currently be enrolled in a degree program (undergraduate, graduate or doctorate)
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Be able to provide a statement of current academic standing or enrollment (The Recovery Village will verify the winner’s status once selected)
- Be at least 18 years of age or older (or have a parent’s permission before applying)
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, write and submit a 1,000-word essay on how addiction and recovery have personally impacted your life. Did you struggle with alcohol as a teen? Do you have a family member who became addicted to prescription drugs? Did your friend seek treatment for heroin use? Have you worked with patients facing addiction during your studies or professional life?
Responses should be heartfelt and honest, and they should include a caring, medical perspective. Instead of a clinical diagnostic report, the essay should include a personal explanation of how substance use disorder can impact others and explain the importance of or need for recovery. All submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the following information in your email submission:
- Your full name / contact information
- The name of your current school and the type of medical degree program or major that you are enrolled in
- A Word document or PDF attachment of your 1,000-word essay
How the Winner Is Chosen and Awarded
All essays will be carefully reviewed for originality, candor and accuracy. The winner will be selected based on their ability to connect with the reader and provide a compelling story and account of addiction and/or recovery. Please note, all applicants must be enrolled in a degree program or school. Enrollment will be verified once a winner is selected.
Essays will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Grammar, structure and creativity
- Relatable perspective with medical insight
- Originality (plagiarism will result in automatic disqualification)
How the Winner Will be Contacted and Awarded
A winner will be chosen on January 15, 2018. The winner will be contacted via email to confirm enrollment in a degree program. Advanced Recovery Systems (ARS) will award the $1,000 scholarship directly to the student via the educational institution.
Terms and Conditions
The Recovery Village Columbus is an Advanced Recovery Systems (ARS) drug and alcohol addiction rehabilitation center with a focus on treating substance use and co-occurring disorders. All applicants grant ARS and its affiliates the right to publish their essay and name upon winning.
- No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.
- The Recovery Village Columbus and Advanced Recovery Systems will not give out or use your private information for anything other than this scholarship application submission.
- Only one application is permitted per student.
- Your essay will be evaluated for plagiarism. Fraudulent essays will be disqualified.
- ARS employees and their immediate relatives are not eligible.
- ARS reserves the right to verify all information including school enrollment status.
- To enter, you must submit a complete scholarship application via email to email@example.com no later than December 31, 2017. Application must include your name, educational institution, and a .doc or .pdf file of your essay attachment. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The scholarship will be awarded in the student’s name directly to the university or educational institution.
- All applications become the property of ARS and will not be returned. ARS is not responsible for any lost, late or unintelligible entries.
Potential topics can include but not limited to:
- Reasons Why Addicts Struggle in Early Recovery
- Common Fears in Addiction Recovery
- Moderation in Addiction: Real or Myth?
- How to Stop Abusing Drugs and Start Recovery
- Controversial Thoughts We Have About Addiction
- Love, Sex, Relationships, And Early Addiction Recovery